Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Harbor

My most recent profligate spending event was a heavy-duty backpack for my inflatable kayak. The thing weighs like 40 lbs dry, so getting it to water and back was originally a challenge, and tended to prevent me from using the boat due to the pain-in-the-ass factor. Now, I can comfortably cart the beast around, both on foot and astride my bike. There's even room in the pack for a pfd, the paddle, and the pump. I took my kayak out onto Boston Harbor this weekend, starting from Carson Beach in Southie and paddling around the old Harbor and over to the JFK library. I wanted to cross the channel over to Thompson Island, but it was Sunday afternoon and sunny, and I was afraid of getting cut in half by all the drunk Kennedys in 30 ft pleasure yachts. My little craft is admirably stable in chop, so maybe next time I'll bring a whistle with me and try to sprint across without getting killed. I looked around online, and as far as I can tell, there aren't any rules at all. I can go anywhere I want, and the bigger powered craft are obliged to stay out of my way. I know - small comfort.

Part of my big plan for the afternoon was to pick up chicks by inflating and putting in at a public beach. It worked, as long as you replace "pick up chicks" with "attract a hoard of small children who all want a turn stepping on the foot pump". It was sweet though. Additionally, I was approached by a couple of guys who were interested in the whole inflatable kayak system for themselves. Gratifying, but not really. Where were you ladies? Maybe for next time I'll get a T-shirt that says "This could all be yours".

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the last line. if it weren't for that last line I wouldn't have busted up laughing so violently that tears started to gather. I hope you do make that t-shirt, because I want a picture of that. (r)

11:00 PM  
Blogger mdog said...

theis. you TOTALLY need to make that t-shirt. oh my gosh.

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home